Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Harvest Time!

a cell being fertilized


Yesterday Tim and I went in to the doctor to get my eggs harvested. I thought it would be no big deal... ha! They totally knocked me out, and I didnt' feel anything- until later! The anesthesia made me sick and I was in so much pain yesterday! But it was all worth it, because they took out 22 follicles, which is a ton!


A fertilized egg at the embryonic stage.
This one has 8 cells


They fertilized the eggs yesterday, and we should know how many made it past the first stage later today. Tim had to give me a shot of progesterone, which we will continue for the next 2 months or so. It HURT! The needle was really long because it had to go into my muscle. Usually the follicle provides progesterone to a female's body when it releases the egg, but since they took the follicles before they could expell the eggs, we have to provide the hormones instead. Eventually the placenta will start making progesterone for my body to be a good environment for the baby(ies!).



5 days after the eggs are fertilized, they become blastulas. This is a big step for the fertilzed eggs, so not all will make it. The ones that do will be graded and they will choose the two best ones to transfer back into me. We're thinking that will be sometime Thursday afternoon. We just have to wait for the call!


A fertilized egg at blastula stage.
It's a big hollow ball of cells- how cool is that?

Last night Tim and I said our prayers before we went to bed, and he asked God to take care of all our babies and help them grow. So sweet!

2 comments:

  1. Wow...that is really cool to see and understand how all this happens! 22 follicles sounds like a great number. That is wonderful! Keep us posted on how things go this week!
    love
    jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. 22 follicles is great! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete