Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mark It On Your Calendar

Today I had a caledar meeting at our fertilty doctor's office to discuss medicine and what to expect in the next month. Tim wanted to go with me, but we decided he should save his vacation days for real appointments and paternity leave. I was really nervous and armed with lots of questions before I went in and after the meeting I felt so much better. Here's the low-down and dirty:

I've been on birth control pills for over a month now. Isn't that ironic? We're trying to get pregnant so I'm on the Pill? They want me to be on their timeline, so we're regulating my cycle. I'm going to be on a total of 9 different Rx to help with fertility. Let's just say I'd better get used to giving myself shots every day. They are little sub-cutaneous shots, but needles are needles.

Sometime during the week of July 7th my follicles should be ready and they will harvest them before fertilizing them to make embryos.

5 days after the eggs are fertilized, they are called a blastocyst, which means a ball of cells. They wait until the embryos are a little more developed to determine which ones are the best to implant- the better blasts are the most likely to become little babies! We'll probably transfer 2 blasts, which ups our chances for twins but also increases the chances that at least one will survive.

After the transfer, I'm on bed rest for 24 hours and then have to take it easy for the next few weeks, but for the most part I'm allowed to do whatever activities I normally do. I was worried about not being able to do my normal workout, but the manager said it shouldn't be a problem- just no crunces or abs. The worst part of all of this is that Tim will have to give me intramuscular shots in my glute muscles for 8 weeks after the transfer. :(

The only hitch of the day was I had my Rx filled and it was quite pricey. Insurance was supposed to cover them, but the pharmacy said they weren't in network so I had to pay full price. After contacting the insurance company (after having paid for the meds) I was told I had to go to a special pharmacy that was mail order. Uh, that would have been good to know ahead of time, like one of the 50 times we contacted the insurance company in the past few months! Oh well, it's an investment, right? ;)

We'll keep you posted on things as they go! We're excited because we feel like we're really doing this now. Before was a lot of waiting, but now we have a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment