Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Wiggle Wiggle

My first project in making Kennedy and Graham's non-baby rooms Big Kid Rooms was to make wreaths for their bedroom door.  I've been itching to make them for a long time, so I couldn't wait to get started!

I found a great idea to use foam insulation tubing instead of the expensive foam wreaths from the craft stores.  Two tubes together cost me $3.00 at Home Depot!  So I cut them the length I needed and then duct taped the ends together- viola!  A wreath!



my sweet little helpers- puppies and all :) 


 And this is where the "Wiggle Wiggle" part comes in.  K and G insist the wreaths were hula hoops, which they call wiggle wiggles.  A glimpse into the mind of a two year old: what do you do with a hula hoop?  Put it on your hips and WIGGLE WIGGLE!  But I digress...



Kennedy's Wreath
Kennedy's room is a fantastic, neutral baby's nursery but we definitely need some work to make this a little girl's room!  Her favorite color is PURPLE with pink being a very close second, and she "just wuvs butterflies!"  So what can a momma do but try to please?  So I'm going to be working very hard to add pinks, purples and butterflies to her room that already has yellow walls and yellow and green window treatments.  


Kennedy is very girly-girl, so I decided to use different ribbons in yellow, green, purple and pink to make a ribbon-wreath.  After I wrapped the hoola-hoop wreath form in strips of white remnant fabric, I started tying ribbons into knots... 

I was just a little short of white fabric, so I ended up leaving a little strip unwrapped, knowing the large ribbon I was using to hang the wreath would cover it

... and tying, and tying... 


and once I had covered the entire wreath with more ribbon than you could imagine, I decided it needed something more.  So I made a dash to Michael's and grabbed some Martha Stewart paint and added a little more of Kennedy style. 


Now THIS is a wreath that says "little girl's room" don't cha think?  It's fun, sassy and full of color just like my K. And let me tell you, she absolutely loves it.  

Graham's wreath
Okay, so now how do you make a wreath- which let's face it, when I think wreath, I think flowers and ribbons and chica- into a something for a little boy's room?

By adding baseballs :)  Kennedy and Graham REALLY wanted to help



Graham's room is Cardinal's baseball (does this surprise you?!?) so we had to go with Cardinal red!  I couldn't find any remnants that matched my color theme, so I got a few quarters because I had no desire to stand in the mile-long line in the fabric department.  And I wanted baseballs, but I didn't want something that was really heavy or would knock against the door when we snuck in to say night-night so I decided to go with foam baseballs I found in the summer toy section :)  It was tricky trying to get them away from the kids, they were ready to play!  

 wrapped up and ready to go

to make sure the balls stayed in place I pinned them, then hot glued and allowed the glue to cool down.


 I just had to add this.  Graham's new toy obsession is his water gun, which he calls his Buuujsh.  I can read your mind, you're thinking "HUH?"  Another glimpse into the mind of a two-year-old: what sound affects do you make when you're squirting a water gun?  "BUUJSH, BUUJSH!" right?  Sooooo, it's a buujsh.  So while I was working on the wreath, G was excited because Mommy had a Buujsh too!


Mommy's Buujsh

 So once the glue was dry, pins came out and wreath went up on little man's door!



Graham also loves it, and every time we go into his room he points it out and says "G for Graham's room!"  and then he adds in "Let's Go Cardinals!"  :)   Sorry Grandma Cleda, he's a die-hard Cards fan!!  He is definitely his Daddy's boy.

We have a lot more we're doing for the kids' rooms this summer, so check back in soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment