Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Muffins


So if you've met me, you know I like to eat healthy- it's no secret.  And Tim and I have decided everything in moderation, but we want to teach the kids to make healthy choices.  That being said, chocolate is never a bad thing!  :)

So via Pinterest, I stumbled across a recipe that was calling my our names- Banana Oatmeal Muffins.  MMMmmmmm.  And of course, my two assistants were eager to assist! :)  Of course, I modified the recipe I found, so here's what we whipped up.

Ingredients:
4 mashed bananas- the more ripe, the better!  (or 3 REALLY LARGE ONES!)
1 cup of skim milk
1/2 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
1 egg
1/4 cup egg substitute
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 cups old fashioned rolled oats*
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbsp mini chocolate chips


  • Pre-heat the oven to 375*
  • Mix all ingredients except the chocolate chips together.  Let it sit while you're getting the cupcake pan and liners ready
  • Spray muffin tin and/or liners with Pam **when you're baking with anything but wheat flour (like oats!) beware- they stick to cupcake liners!  So my suggestion is bake with silicone that you have sprayed with Pam-OR- get the foil cupcake liners and take the paper lining out**
  • Fold in the chocolate chips.  You're going to fill the cupcake liners almost full.  (I made 12 medium muffins and a pan of mini-muffins)  You should make about 15 muffins (or 12 and a pan full of minis!)
  • Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the edges are brown and they are firm to the touch.  The muffins will stick to the liners when they are hot, but they will fall right out when they have cooled down a bit!
Nutritional info: (this is a guesstimate, which is killing the science nerd in me!)  15 muffins (or 12 medium muffins and 12 mini muffins)- 100 calories/ muffin, 1.5 grams of fat, 2 grams of fiber, 10 grams of sugar, 1 gram of sat. fat, 25 grams of carbs, 4 grams of protein, 2 weight watchers + points

These have been munchkin and husband approved!  :) 



My little helpers... 




In the middle of mashing up bananas we had to stop for a peach break.  I mean, the basket of fruit was right there and so tempting!  Notice said fruit basket was moved after little hands grabbed the peaches... 

Cheese!

 Big bite there, buddy!

Sweet face!

helping Mommy pour in the milk

another sweet face moment- I can't decide which ones are more precious, so you are subjected to them all!  Awful, I know ;)

 Graham is a big helper too!


 Sweet!!!

Don't these muffins look so good?  In the oven, ready to bake!

I mean, just SO SWEET!  Enough to melt this momma's heart.  

Okay, so I've had this blog almost ready to go- sans pictures- for almost a week now!  Whew, it's been a crazy week full of fun and lots of running around.  Blogs about that to follow, but I just want it to be noted that I am having an absolute blast with these Monkeys this summer.  We're doing new things every day, and I am seeing their personalities blossom more and more.  They are hilarious little people!  Just thought you should know :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment